How to confidently introduce yourself in English
All English learners should be able to confidently introduce themselves in English. This is useful when meeting new people or introducing yourself in a presentation.
Giving a good introduction can make a great first impression. The type of language used will depend on whether the situation is formal or informal.
First, think of questions that you can prepare your answers for.
There are formal ways to greet people
- Good morning
- Good afternoon
- Good evening
- It’s a pleasure to meet you
- It’s nice to see you
There are informal ways to greet people
- What’s up?
- Morning / Afternoon / Evening
- How are things?
- How’s it going?
- It’s good to see you
What is your name?
➜ E.g. My name is Tina.
How old are you?
- I am [number] years old
- I’m [number]
- I am in my early/mid/late [decade]
➜ E.g. I’m 33 years old.
➜ E.g. I am in my early thirties.
Place of origin
Where are you from?
- I am from…
- I come from…
- I was born in…
- I am originally from…
What is your nationality?
➜ E.g. I’m British
Where do you live? This can be a country, town, city, house, or apartment.
- I live in…
- I currently live in…
- I am currently living in…
How long have you lived there?
- I’ve been living in [location] for [time period]
- I’ve spent the past [time period] in [location].
➜ E.g. I’ve been living in London for two years.
What qualifications do you have?
- I have a [subject] degree
- I have a degree in [subject]
- I’m taking a [subject] course.
➜ E.g. I have a Psychology degree.
➜ E.g. I have a degree in Psychology.
➜ E.g. I’m taking an accountancy course.
What is your job/role?
How long have you worked for?
- I am a/an [position] at [company/place of work]
- I am a student studying at [name school/university]
- I work at [company]
- I work as…
- I have my own business where I [explain the role]
➜ E.g. I am a lecturer at the University of Sheffield.
➜ E.g. I work as a customer service assistant.
Who is in your family?
How would you describe your family members?
- I am from a family of [number]
- My family consists of [mention each person]
➜ E.g. I am from a family of 5 people.
➜ E.g. I am the eldest of 5 siblings.
➜ E.g. I have two brothers and one sister.
What do you enjoy doing?
- My hobbies are…
- In my spare time, I like to…
- I enjoy…
- I really like…
- I like to spend my time…
➜ E.g. I really like painting.
What do you aim to do in the future?
- In the future, I would like to…
- I aim to become a teacher.
- My dream is to…
How would you describe yourself?
- I am…
- I would describe myself as…
- My friends would describe me as…
➜ E.g. I am a thoughtful and caring person.
Here is an example:
My name is Julie. I am 20 years old. I am originally from Austria but I currently live in an apartment in London.
I am currently studying at the University College London. I am from a family of 4. I like to spend my time drawing and reading as it makes me feel relaxed. In the future, I would like to become a doctor. I would describe myself as a kind and friendly person who loves to meet new people.